Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merrillee Reboullet

December 11, 2021 at 9:13 pm

I tried not to read anybody’s comment yet! Here it goes:

Probably the first shot would be of a milk jug and a carton. Depending on how long I wanted to draw out the problem, I wouldn’t show the quantities of the carton and the jug but have students estimate how many cartons one jug would fill. The first mini-reveal would be to then show the quantity of either one container (or both, depending on the class and the learning goal) and have them re-evaluate either their estimates or calculate/model based on the new information.

Next, I would show a pile of cartons which should get students asking how many cartons there would be and how many jugs it would take to fill them. Of course, I’m not going to tell them how many cartons there are; that is their job!

Following that, I would show the number of jugs he has (6) and I would imagine that students would be able to work it out from there. For students that still struggle with unit conversion, it might be important to present the quantities in the same units. So instead of saying 4L, it would be 4000mL. That way the conversion factor is removed. But that would need to be some intervention to bring the student up to the next level.

I would probably modify other things according to the group I’m teaching…