Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 8-1: Revealing Proportional Relationships Through a Composed Unit – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 8-1: Revealing Proportional Relationships Through a Composed Unit – Discussion

• Merrillee Reboullet

December 10, 2021 at 8:39 pm

I was able to spot this as a composed unit scenario, but I feel that it was still more of an intuitive feeling rather than a real understanding with justifiable reasons (of course you outlined them nicely, but I’m not sure I could have). Although the two different elements, water vs rice, was one of my levels of reasoning. Perhaps if we were going to mix rices with a certain proportion in the mix that might be more of a multiplicative relationship?

I was struck with the thought that the kitchen lends itself very nicely to ratios as recipes are actually largely constructed using relationships. I feel like from a very early age my mom drummed into me: to cook rice it is one part rice and two parts water. I still think 1:2 whenever I go to prepare rice!