Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merrillee Reboullet

December 8, 2021 at 8:39 pm

I’m really interested in trying the double number line with my students. I think doing this will make relationship tables a lot more logical to them. I’ve been doing a lot with images and having students notice and wonder with an image of objects which could represent mathematical concepts lately and I have the perfect one that I’ll be able to use to simply set out the idea. Then I’ll use the hot chocolate task and nudge them towards using it to help represent their thinking. Especially because I know a lot of them will think it is too easy!

I was also thinking that it might be useful to come back to something like the hot chocolate task later in the year and build on it when attacking or extending a concept because they would have already done the groundwork and they could make new applications based on the learning they’ve done in between times. Do you ever do that? Do they complain that they’ve already seen that? In the times that I’ve re-run something, the fact that I’m asking them to do something different with a familiar image/document has been very successful. A little like pairing new Christmas pyjamas with the old comfy slippers. What has been your experience?