Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merrillee Reboullet

December 7, 2021 at 10:22 pm

This is a fun task. My students really enjoy doing tasks like this, so I am sure that they’ll be really engaged. We’re concentrating on multiplication at the moment, (although there are many other aspects of problem-solving thrown in!), so this fits perfectly. In grade 5, however, this will be too easy. They’ll have the answer in a snap, even those who are more concrete thinkers. But it would be fun to extend it to ask them to calculate how many scoops would be needed to make hot chocolate for everyone in the class, and then to ensure that there would be enough containers of hot chocolate, for next week’s pyjama day. The more real-world, the better I think!

Since we’ve also been working with converting units, I may also ask them to think about how many mL are in each glass and then calculate how many litres of hot chocolate we would need. We have Carnaval coming up where we serve hot chocolate to all the students, so we could contexualize this in that way to help the committee who is buying supplies ensure they make enough and have enough mix. Different groups could calculate different aspects and then present their findings to the Carnaval committee. Which is perfect because it would be in French (the students are in French Immersion) and the Carnaval committee is French speaking. So there would be the expressive piece, which is super important for showing understanding!

Something that just occurred to me is that older students (or maybe even mine) might calculate the ratio of hot chocolate mix to water…how many parts of each? Or you could use fractions to describe how much of the container of mix is used in every cup or 3 cups…or however difficult you want it to be. Or could you go smaller and ask how many scoops would be used if you had a cup that was 2/3 the size of the one in the video or 1/2 the size…

I’ll stop and go see what other people said!