Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merrillee Reboullet

December 6, 2021 at 10:31 pm

I previously mentioned that the rate of carrot consumption for our home is 1/2 bag per week. 1:2, 1/2. For four weeks, it would be two bags or 2:4 I have a little trouble turning the ratio around because in real world situations we don’t really talk like that so it is more abstract. It isn’t very usual to talk about the number of weeks per bags of carrots which I believe would be 2:1 or 4:2…or 52 to 26. But there I just almost created a rate using partitive division as a reflex because all of a sudden I got curious about how many bags I would need for the year. 52/2 (because the relationship is 1:2) to get 26 bags…I think I have way more so I’m probably in trouble.

Anyway, I’m not sure I actually did what I was supposed to in this post. Some of what you were talking about in this video didn’t feel very applicable so I got lost in the terms and the round-about way of expressing things that seemed like they should be more straight-forward than all that. I did appreciate your comment not to expect students to be able to express their understanding to this level or to imagine that we should have them memorize all these terms for different ways of looking at the same thing.

One thing I wonder about is at what level would students begin thinking like this. I shudder to think of introducing a discussion of ratios like this to my Grade 5s. We barely touch on ratios and those are generally part-whole as they relate to fractions…I feel that they wouldn’t be quite ready to think about 9/7 of a person to 1 person who likes the arts!