Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Amy Johnson

December 5, 2021 at 6:30 pm

What resonates with me is how messy, complex and yet, simple but organized math tasks are. I can “feel” that messiness in my mind as ideas swirl, but when I find a thread of thought and start to pull on it, it can make a straight line of logic and understanding. As a student and at times, as a teacher I can feel the messiness of math. This can be overwhelming. I am not sure how to start pulling at thought threads because sometimes you make a knot like in the task when 7 linking cubes couldn’t fair share to 5 mugs. However, when you asked, “Could you use more than one linking cube to represent the water?” the knot began to pull out. I have to know my students and tasks so I can help students notice or consider where to pull their thought threads.

Right now I wonder about what if I intend for a task to be used in one way but it isn’t used in that way; how do I recognize what I misunderstood about what students’ prior experience were for them or what I thought students might do? I know I am learning as I am trying to teach with tasks.