Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2021 MMM Virtual Summit Math Running Records: The GPS of Math Fluency Assessment – Discussion Reply To: Math Running Records: The GPS of Math Fluency Assessment – Discussion

• Nicole Bisnar

December 2, 2021 at 12:57 pm

I love math running records. I’ve been really fortunate this year in my new position as the math interventionist to implement using running records and Dr. Newton’s strategies.

This year I’ve been compiling different activities to help reinforce the fluency strategies, and just in the minute shared from her own stockpile I’ve gotten some new ideas. I find the students make the most connection when presented with activities that show the symbolic representations of facts, and have to match with a fact. I love the flashcards she shared with the strategy at the top of the card! Absolutely going to be making a set of those.

My question is what is the best way to get “buy-in” from the rest of the teaching staff at my school? I have pockets of teachers who are on board with the idea of moving away from those dreaded timed tests, but also have some who are clinging dearly to them.

Follow-up question: What is the best way to facilitate a class of 30+ who may be working on different strategies or completely different operations? How long per session/days per week would you recommend allowing for fluency instruction?