Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 5-4: Building Multiplicative Thinking Through Problem Based Lessons – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 5-4: Building Multiplicative Thinking Through Problem Based Lessons – Discussion

• Lavon Heath

November 28, 2021 at 4:31 pm

In the first week of school I always use your 3-Act Sticky Note Challenge. My students love this! The 3 videos videos really create interest. This year I brought in a pull up bar and we actually tried it with a student who was willing to share his weight. It didn’t work quite as well as the video but we estimated how many sticky notes we thought it would take to hold him and tried it. Then we talked about how many sticky notes it would take to hold my 6 pound dog if we could rig up a harness (this was hypothetical).

After this unit, the one thing I will focus on to improve would be to talk about what fraction of the student’s weight my dog is. We did a good job of talking about how many times bigger the student was but I need to make sure we do the reverse.

And thank you for an engaging resource!