Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 5-4: Building Multiplicative Thinking Through Problem Based Lessons – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 5-4: Building Multiplicative Thinking Through Problem Based Lessons – Discussion

• Merrillee Reboullet

November 27, 2021 at 10:10 pm

I’ve been thinking about some of the work I’ve done with students while trying to help them understand fractions and especially equivalent fractions. I find that over the years, this has been one of the most difficult concepts for students in Grade 5 to understand. One of my favourites is the paper folding activity, having students visually see the relationship between halves, quarters, eighths etc. as we fold the paper into smaller and smaller pieces. Of course, this is also illustrates multiples as well, so I sometimes pick one or the other, or combine both!

More recently we’ve been working our way into multiplying 2-digit by 2-digit numbers, especially using images from http://ntimages.weebly.com/ as well as my own. It has been interesting to observe the various stages of my students. Some are still calculating by counting by ones (not even subitizing or grouping units into equal groups) while others are easily expressing an understanding of multiplication in a variety of ways.

One thing I will introduce though now that I have watched this module, is to use more comparative relative language to help students solidify their understanding of the relationships that come along with comparing two groups or sets of objects with multiplicative thinking. I can’t help but think that this would make fractions of a set much clearer for them!