Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 4-4: Sparking Curiosity & Fuelling Sense Making With Additive Thinking – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4-4: Sparking Curiosity & Fuelling Sense Making With Additive Thinking – Discussion

• Merrillee Reboullet

November 22, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Loved the cookie monster video. Made me chuckle. I can just imagine the students’ comments. I also liked the added multiplication element that is possible when calculating the number of cookies originally. 🙂

A person could also bring fractions into it…wondering what fraction of the cookies have been eaten…

As to creating a problem. I might take the new fundraiser in our school as a context (Popcorn Tuesdays), having the students calculate the number of bags of popcorn were delivered to a certain class knowing that 45 bags were popped originally and there were 24 left next to the machine. Or to spice it up, because many in my class would find that too easy, I would perhaps make it an open-ended question where they would need to propose several possibilities (or all) if that certain number was actually how many were delivered to two different classrooms. The question would be how many could have been delivered to each classroom? I might also ask them to pick their favourite possiblilty and state why they think this is the most probable.