Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2021 MMM Virtual Summit The Power of Gradual Reveal in Nearly Everything We Teach – Discussion Reply To: The Power of Gradual Reveal in Nearly Everything We Teach – Discussion

• Simonay Hudson

November 21, 2021 at 4:42 pm

The gradual release approach and examples shared were inspirational eye-openers that gave enough information for me to realize how I could use/apply these too.

Some key thoughts alongside this (would need to watch the recording for context) were:

to shift from an I say, we do, you do approach (monkey see, monkey do)

to you say what you think, we discuss together, I wrap up (this way we struggle, explore, share, justify, compare, debrief, consolidate)

In this way we move from: pluck out numbers, convert ‘in each’ to divide, Compute; to using inferential reasoning questions to build interest and humour, making sense of the numbers, translating data into potential questions, focusing on the operation more than the computation, including estimation and giving multiple representations.

This was very valuable to me because it revealed flaws in aspects of my current approach, but also gave me a suggested structure/way I could make use of questioning (which is something I already utilise and enjoy incorporating.)