Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Diane Hamilton

November 11, 2021 at 9:06 pm

I also wish for language that didn’t emphasize the “more” situations, because naming additive vs. multiplicative thinking with my students further de-emphasizes subtraction and division, the poor cousins. I could see talking about part-part-whole thinking compared to proportional thinking instead.

Something I’m wondering about: I use “times” in the inverse direction, for example I would say that while the white square is 4 times bigger than the green square, the green square is 4 times smaller than the white square. Or I might say that wand B is 3 times shorter than wand A. I wonder if that language makes sense to kids or if it confuses them. We have talked a lot about tenths as 10 times smaller. We play a game where a student names an everyday object and then we all try to think of an object that is 10 times bigger and an object that is 10 times smaller or a tenth the size. Scaling up and down by 10 is so important to support their understanding of place value, so I spend time on that. Thoughts?