Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 2: The True Purpose of Assessment – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 2: The True Purpose of Assessment – Discussion

• AJ Ellison

November 7, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Formative assessment is difficult for me and in the past managing the data has been difficult. Our district has so many standards packed into a 9 month school year that when I ran my class as a traditional math class, it was difficult to find the time to spiral back with my formative data to readdress any misconceptions or problem areas. This would have me relying on quizzes and tests for my data and ultimately being disappointed when students didn’t achieve the way I felt they should have and then me trying to patch holes while I taught the next concept that relied on the concept before. It was a wicked spiral of student and teacher frustration.

I have recently been focusing on turning my class into a thinking classroom and I have found that this has helped my formative process tremendously. I am able to conference with students in real time and spot the misconceptions in real time. This allows me to reteach in small groups or during our consolidation in a way that matches the needs of the students more precisely. There are less holes and much more productive lessons happening now. I wish it hadn’t taken me 22 years to get to this point but, better late than never I guess!