Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Amy Johnson

November 6, 2021 at 11:00 am

Spatial reasoning is being able to visualize or “see the math” concretely and moving toward the symbolic and abstract use of that math. It is so important that students “see the movie” of math in their minds. I am finding that when I have students connect a context to problems they are more successful with the math. I had a student who hated models and whined whenever I would go to one. He made it seem as if they had no connection to the math and were the difficult part of math. Reflecting on that I think it is because the instruction I had as a student which includes his parents, my peers, we didn’t get the concrete understandings. We had to struggle to just mimic processes. So we have created a culture around student learning that discounts this important process of learning. I feel like my students know so much more about math than I did because they have been afforded the privilege of improved mathematical instruction. I hope that this is a trend that continues. I plan to do my part towards this.