Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merrillee Reboullet

October 25, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I’m working on measurement, units and even conversions right now in fact. I’m trying to find a way to help them really understand conversions between cm and m, even mm. I find that they struggle with the decimals and notation, so I am trying to think of a way to introduce it that is less dependant on rulers and direct measurement, at least right away. Today during an exploration, I had some decide to compare the length of the room and another measurement with unifix blocks. Thankfully we had enough blocks! Other students lined up meter sticks and counted how many centimeters in groups of 100. It was interesting to watch the processes of different students. It taught me a lot about where they all are in their journey.

Moving forward we’ll be exploring how to think about conversions and I’m considering using something like your area model (but with the unit of one vertically) to help them see how to think about hundredths in the relationship between centimetres and metres. Hopefully they are able to make the leap. I was interested to see that they could already say that they measured 8m and 43 cm, which makes me think that the area model will make sense to them…we’ll see!