Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Patricia Scheler

October 14, 2021 at 8:03 pm

By definition, spatial reasoning is the ability to think about and manipulate objects in three dimensions. In the academic world, it is the use of measurements to determine things like length, width, area, volume, mass, etc. However, spatial reasoning goes much further than that in the real world. Spatial reasoning is used for many day-to-day routines. I use spatial reasoning to determine how close I am to the car in front of me – do I need to brake sooner? I use spatial reasoning to figure out what size bowl I must use for my left-overs. I decide how much I can pack in the trunk of my car. And, though I use it everyday, I must confess that I haven’t always had strong spatial reasoning skills. I have bumped my car into a light pole. I have used a bigger container than necessary for left overs. I have overpacked and had to ride in the car with things under my feet. I think some people have natural spatial reasoning while others have to learn it through practice. Obviously, this skill is important in a number of areas including physical education, science, home economics, and art.