Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Progress Logs Claire’s Progress Log Reply To: Claire’s Progress Log

• Claire New

October 10, 2021 at 4:34 pm

Thanks for your encouragement, Kyle! Yes. Totally worthwhile and ultimately rewarding. We have a lot of deficit mindset going around in our school and I’m trying to change that with incremental actions.

I keep going back to what Jo Boaler says, and I’m sure I’ve heard you guys say it on the podcast, “Assess what you value”. I’ve started persuading people away from assessing against national standards as this didn’t enable us to celebrate growth. This means that kids who are doing well already, sit on their laurels, behaving badly and still claim excellence. On the flip side, kids who are below standard have that drummed into them and they never have the opportunity to feel that their hard work is rewarded. So why should anyone work hard?

This coming term (we’re on term break, atm) I’m going to be running workshops on a new assessment tool which is explicit about progress and where kids sit on each aspects’ progression. This should make it clearer for students where they are and where they need to go next. It will also, subtly, highlight areas of content deficit and align all teachers to a nationally recognised understanding of how each aspect progresses.

First steps in that process, well…I need to make sure I have the resources set up so teachers can work on their understandings of the progressions and the tools when they are away from the workshops. I need to give them enough help so they can quickly become independent of me.