Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion

• Lavon Heath

October 9, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Last year I taught Math 8 for the first time and I planned on spending one day reviewing proportions before we jumped into slope, thinking that students had covered that topic in 7th grade. As my students worked on proportions, however, I realized that their understanding was pretty limited, which is not surprising because our curriculum hits ratios in a stand-alone, quick unit at the end of the school year.

Without an understanding of proportional reasoning, I knew my students would struggle with slope, so I spent as much time as I could teaching this concept, but I didn’t have much wiggle room in my curriculum to do it justice. When I saw this course advertised, I was excited because I feel that it will help me to teach this concept more effectively with the time I have. Already I can see that it will help not only with our understanding of slope but also our whole unit on transformations will benefit as well. I am already developing a broader definition of proportional reasoning. Thank you!