Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections The Concept Holding Your Students Back Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 1 – What Is Proportional Reasoning And Why Is It Important? – Discussion

• Kyle Ferreira van Leer

October 3, 2021 at 10:52 am

As someone who teaches both 7th and 8th grade, I see proportional reasoning as a key concept towards understanding linear relationships and linear growth. Our standards and curricula constantly split up so many different pieces of proportionality in 7th grade, that students don’t see the connection between them. One example is that working with unit rates, percents, and proportions is all the exact same. I started using double number lines for all of these last year with students — all of a sudden, something that had previously felt so disconnected now was completely linked. I also think that the vocabulary we see can further encourage disconnectedness — unit rate, constant of proportionality, constant rate of change — these are all essentially the same piece. Why confuse students and make them think it’s all separate?