Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Merrillee Reboullet

October 2, 2021 at 10:09 am

I love how unitizing links so many mathematical concepts together. This lesson is a great reminder to use specific language when asking students to measure, count or calculate sets, quantities etc if you’re looking for a certain answer. I often ask open-ended questions on purpose however, to push students to think differently about the same image and then ask them to demonstrate their thinking to me and to each other.

I teach the metric system here in Canada and have the advantage of doing so in French. It is true that using the words to help inform and understanding of units is helpful for those who intuitively link the language and the mathematical concept together. Some students still struggle with conversions of course, even when we talk about fractions such as hundredths or thousandths. I’m still thinking about how/if I could use a more single unit language to refer to fractional amounts (such as 2 one-fouths) in French. It doesn’t seem to fit the linguistic aspect of teaching math in the students’ second language and I have to be careful in a French Immersion context not to make up words that the students will then try to use in the real world!!