Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.2: What Video Games Can Teach Us about Grading? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3.2: What Video Games Can Teach Us about Grading? – Discussion

• Callie Smith

September 24, 2021 at 11:35 pm

I attended a conference session (by accident, actually) several years ago in which the presenter went through the psychology of video games, and I find this fascinating! That dopamine hit is real, and I cringe when I think of how many times I have robbed my students of that satisfying moment. I have a colleague who constantly “rescues” her students, and I think it’s time for her to hear about the student’s role in his or her hero journey. I think of the hook into the games when you figure out how to make it work, and I love it when I can accomplish something that seemed so difficult at first. Pipes did this for me…

I also thought about the number of times I repeated levels of things just to get the higher number of stars…

I’m convinced and hooked on this, and I want to see how to make it work! This is good stuff!