Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.1: Helpful vs. Unhelpful Grading Practices – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3.1: Helpful vs. Unhelpful Grading Practices – Discussion

• Callie Smith

September 24, 2021 at 10:29 pm

I love that you guys are spiraling our learning here because when you reviewed the questioning patterns we are changing, I was reminded that I’ve picked up on so many more formative moments in the past week! It has been amazing! I ask “Why do you think that” so much more — and uncovered underlying misconceptions that wouldn’t have surfaced before because I would’ve moved on since it was a right answer.

My biggest takeaway here is that there is still that need for unity between the lessons and the assessments — changes need to be made.

There is a resistance in me with this idea. I have moved to a place that time has forgotten. I had a new fellow teacher give me a workbook of worksheets she has used for the past twenty years, telling me I was not making my students work hard enough. I was also informed that there is a need to protect what they have at their school. I’m anxious to see what I can change within the system. I don’t anticipate I will be able to change the system — definitely not this year. I feel that portfolios will be very useful to be able to “capture” some of the good things that students are doing that cannot be explained or shared in a math department meeting. I will then have something to point to and be able to say, “Yes, but look at what they can do!” Fortunately, my principal is extremely supportive, and he’s my supervisor.