Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 2.2 Two Formative Assessment Techniques You Need To Stop Using – Part 2 – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 2.2 Two Formative Assessment Techniques You Need To Stop Using – Part 2 – Discussion

• Callie Smith

September 20, 2021 at 10:09 pm

I love all the alternatives to raised hands. I think raising hands alienates students and prizes only the ones who are quick on their feet. I also find it boring to hear from the same people over and over. I used to “retire” people when they’d been called on enough. And so then they could check out for the rest of the time…. So not productive. I’ve used popsicle sticks and LOVE them… but it still seems to have that same effect Jon was talking about of putting the focus on one person…

I like the idea of having students all working. I’m always afraid I won’t get to everyone, though. And then how do you make sure both people n the pair, or all the people in the group, are working on the task? It seems like some just take over the thinking in the pair.