Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Serina Signorello

September 7, 2021 at 3:10 pm

I struggle to have the courage to pivot especially when working to stay at pace with teachers in the same subject since we give common quarterly and final exams. There are many times when some students need additional time to gain a deeper understanding while several incorrectly placed students are already there. I struggled to find enough extensions and additional tasks for the students who grasp the concept quickly the first time. My goal this year is to focus on developing a conceptual understanding and I think the concrete and visual models will be very helpful in achieving this goal.

Last year I was able to develop students visual understanding of multiplying binomials and factoring trinomials in the form x^2+bx+c but I struggled to find a visual model for factoring trinomials in the form ax^2+bx+c when a>1. I tried having my advanced students work on it as a challenge but we had a difficult time explaining the why between the trick to find the two terms that add up to b and multiply to ac. The visual works so well with the simple version. Any ideas, thoughts, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.