Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class 9 Spiralling Starter Strategies – Discussion Reply To: 9 Spiralling Starter Strategies – Discussion

• Karynn Faivre

August 24, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Although I would like to rewrite our curriculum maps, it is unreasonable for me to think that can happen for this year. As such, I feel confident that I can spiral using several of the starter strategies. I already create warm up activities and can add in questions from prior units. I have tried several times to implement a set spiral back day but did not follow through because I needed that time to help students prep for exams or deliver additional content. Because I feel better about developing students who are doing more of the thinking this year, I envision that we can earn back time formerly allotted for review. Of the 9 mentioned, the one that recommended spiraling a concept is where I will allocate my energies. Probability strands are supposed to be touched in multiple courses, but teachers often overlook them because they are loosely tied to the course content. I will spiral these throughout the year. (Great pre-vacation actiivities!)