Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Denny Nelson

August 18, 2021 at 3:59 pm

In my third unit lesson 4 is “Comparing Proportional Relationships” and has students using graphs and tables of things like lemonade mix and water or money and envelopes. Lesson 5 is “Introduction to Linear Relationships” and one of the earlier tasks is predicting how much a stack of cups is going up. I remember that this lesson 5 tends to be quite difficult and the majority of students really had a hard time moving on to lesson 5.

I’m thinking of going back to a problem they have seen before but applying it in ways that work more for these topics. They have already looked at how much a park charges for people entering and figured out that they had a charge for each vehicle regardless of the size and a charge per person in the vehicle.

I would need to do more but I also think I need to see what the current group of students is doing. The second half of the pivot might need to be crafted for areas where this group needs more work. It could be something more concrete like blocks or a copied shape and recording how many squares it goes up when you add another brick or whatever. They could be encouraged to represent this with pictures or tables rather than just algorithms.