Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Peggy Allen

August 17, 2021 at 8:48 pm

The 3-part framework values skills students currently have to solve contextual problems; there is a gradual progression to the instructor sharing the algorithm after students have chosen, shared, and discussed their own path to solve a problem. Everyone can find some success. The traditional math lessons remind me of a recipe that varies very little, and students are expected to follow it in order to get the same outcome.

The non-traditional math lessons provide students with more opportunity to explore different ways to solve problems as they build towards a conceptual understanding of the ‘new’ strategy. I love how there is more freedom for students to use the knowledge they have and then to build on it. Hopefully, fewer students would be left behind in the dust. Additionally, the 3-part framework encourages those students who are very inquisitive to explore outside the box.

My only reservation: Can I get through the curriculum? I usually have at least one class where students are highly motivated to learn and work, so this style of lesson is fantastic to use. The other classes are a mix. It’s there where I worry about progressing too slowly to get to the end point; however, I will definitely give it a shot.😀