Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Robin Bergen

August 17, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Hi, this is Robin from Massachusetts. I am an 8th grade Math teacher and I have been listening to your podcasts from the beginning. I found you after I found Jo Boaler and knew there had to be more great stuff out there and you absolutely were the answer to my problems. After 38 years I think I am finally, “getting there”, in my teaching. It was eye opening and validating at the same time. It also makes total sense, but like most math teachers I began my journey by teaching how I was taught and of course that didn’t work for me when I was young so I don’t know why I expected it to work for my students. About 10 years ago I created an opportunity to run a cookie company with my struggling learners. It was a fantastic experience but I had to drop it because schools were being required to serve only healthy foods so the cookies and other baked products that we sold were out. But it was that experience that set me on my quest to make math more engaging and practical for the struggling learners that I taught. I feel like I am almost there thanks to; Jo Boaler, Miriam Small, Dan Meyer, Peter L., James Tantum, and both of you. Thank you for all that you are doing.

Robin