Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 4.2: How to Help Students Take Ownership in Their Own Learning – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4.2: How to Help Students Take Ownership in Their Own Learning – Discussion

• Jamie BALLARD

July 26, 2021 at 10:18 am

My biggest takeaway is the power of choice. I recently met with a teacher who is very proficient at running a self-paced course in a lower track class. Her students are super successful, but there is no problem solving task or collaborations on a regular basis. They are essentially learning procedures at their own pace – I would guess to think that they are mimicking procedures. This lower track has students at very different levels, so the self-paced nature is very intriguing! If a student needs to spend more time on a learning target, they are not penalized for it. However, what you have demonstrated here is that power of choice within a “thinking classroom” environment.

Thanks for helping my brain see that we can add in that layer of time and choose within a problem solving classroom environment.