Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.3: Transitioning to Standards Based Grading – Choosing Big Ideas – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3.3: Transitioning to Standards Based Grading – Choosing Big Ideas – Discussion

• Jamie BALLARD

July 25, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Thankfully our district went through and created an essential question and 3 to 5 big ideas for each unit. I like them, but almost feel like I need to keep them as the overall learning expectation. Then add in more granular learning targets. We utilized this in our Algebra 2 curriculum last year.

For instance, one of my favorite big idea questions we have students answer is:

How do I incorporate complex numbers into my understanding of quadratics?

The essential question for the unit is:

How are quadratics modeled in real-life?

When I keep my focus zoomed out at these questions, I am a better teacher. However, we did use learning targets that sometimes would align well under a singular big idea question, but often the learning target would overlap in these questions. For me, the big ideas/essential question is the why we are doing the math. The learning targets are more procedural skills.

I am not this is correct thinking, but that is where I am at this moment.