Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2020 MMM Virtual Summit Partnering With Parents in Elementary School Math – Discussion Reply To: Partnering With Parents in Elementary School Math – Discussion

• Anthony Waslaske

July 23, 2021 at 7:35 pm

My biggest takeaway is the education level of parents. I communicate with parents as I would my peers, without all the jargon. I serve a culturally diverse community and it never came to mind they might not understand me because the language level is too high. Messages from the school have a translation feature, but the complex language may not translate well.

I did appreciate the idea of communicating the differences in mathematics in the way our generation learned it compared to how it is currently taught. Communicating prior to a new unit how the ideas were taught to how they are taught today communicates to me, as a parent, that my teacher supports my child’s education. If I was the parent receiving this, I would think more highly of educators and be more comfortable with public education.

I enjoyed the presentation, ideas I have heard before but not gathered together in the same space.