Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 2.2 Two Formative Assessment Techniques You Need To Stop Using – Part 2 – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 2.2 Two Formative Assessment Techniques You Need To Stop Using – Part 2 – Discussion

• Jamie BALLARD

July 22, 2021 at 2:45 pm

I have the space and ability to get students up and moving and I do so during skills practice time already. However, I particularly enjoy your example of the tree problem, because it is not a long or multi-day task. I feel like I keep reading all these deep, rich, tasks and then struggle to implement due to time. However, your percentage tree task is super simple and flexible. This speaks loudly to me. I do not do well with guided notes because I often go off on a tangent. I like to model “playing” with mathematics and having student practice “playing” with the math. Your activity allowed for the flexibility I desire and engages all students.

Pedagogical practices beat curriculum any day. However, sometimes it is the curriculum that sparks the change in pedagogical practice. Thanks for modeling a very simple yet powerful change.