Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Are You Picky Enough? Lesson 3: Who Are Good Curators? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3: Who Are Good Curators? – Discussion

• Theodore Crum

July 19, 2021 at 3:35 pm

I have been looking at Desmos recently, but I haven’t delved in as deeply into the actual content due to the transition I am making from 5th grade to 8th grade, and not feeling 100% certain about the courses I will be teaching yet.

For virtual learning, I used Go Formative for students to demonstrate their thinking. They could write on a digital whiteboard and also upload a photo, and then I could share the work with the class and have a discussion. I also used Canvas as a space for students to upload photos of their work, and I would provide them feedback on that work.

I have not been a big fan of Kahoot, but a lot of my elementary colleagues used it a lot. I agree with the timed-answer critique Jon offers.

I have had students use Khan Academy for practicing “naked” problems and word problems.

The use of whiteboards in the classroom has been a challenge for me. I have moved away from individual whiteboards — my students tended to erase any mistakes rather than taking time to look at and critique their work. Instead, I have installed large whiteboards around my classroom, and students work together to show their work on these, which provides a good space for discussion. At their desks, students use pens in notebooks to write out their solutions (I picked this up from Carol Lampert’s book, “Teaching Problems and the Problems of Teaching.”) I like that the pens and notebooks provide a space for students to look back at their prior work rather than simply erasing their work as they do on their individual whiteboards. The use of pens has been helpful on numerous fronts since I no longer have to sharpen a million pencils a day.