Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.2: What Video Games Can Teach Us about Grading? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3.2: What Video Games Can Teach Us about Grading? – Discussion

• Daniel Whittaker

July 19, 2021 at 2:36 am

Wow, I thought I had a good idea of where this was going, but it is so much deeper than I expected. I love the 6 things that video games do well and thinking about how to use them in my class. I have a specific activity that I LOVE to do with my kids as I think it does a great job of introducing Pascal’s Triangle that we can later use for the Binomial Theorem and for combinations and counting. But, students struggle a lot with the problem because I don’t do a good job of giving them some level 1 and 2, but rather start them at level 20 and hope that they will use good problem solving skills of breaking it down to a simpler question to start with. Usually I have to give them a LOT of support to get through the exercise. Now I’m thinking about how I can turn the one page document into 2 or 3 or even 4 with some much easier starting questions to get them going and prepare them for success with the bigger problem.

One question I have in this has to do with retention. Often with a unit or topic we test them on the learning goal, but then we want to reassess it again later in the year to make sure that they still have the knowledge. I’m trying to think of that in a video game setting, you would never expect a video game to go back and take away a star for an earlier level. But, as I think about it, the same skills would be covered on future levels.

So, from a math perspective imagine these learning goals:

1: Solve single step algebra equations.

2: Solve two step equations.

3: Solve multi-step equations.

4: Solve equations with variables on both sides.

A student shows consistent ability at LG1 and is given his 3 stars. But while working on LG4, struggles with equations like 3x=5 and gets the fraction wrong. Would we look at that and realize that our marking on L1 wasn’t correct, or would we just deduct stars on LG4? To mean it would seem more informative to drop the grade on L1, but that could also be demoralizing for a student.