Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 3.2: What Video Games Can Teach Us about Grading? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 3.2: What Video Games Can Teach Us about Grading? – Discussion

• Bonnie Currie

July 16, 2021 at 10:02 am

I just finished reading “Building Thinking Classrooms” and the slow building of difficulty in video games makes me thinking of “thin-slicing” questions. They start easy so students can start to see patterns and strategies but build with a slight new challenge each time.

This also makes me think about the way that a lot of newer video games give very few instructions about how to play the game and lets the player figure it out in the early levels. I think of this as only giving my students the minimum information needed for them to get started on a task, and letting them figure out the rest. Drop in hints or point things out as needed, but let them discover how to play the game (find a strategy to solve the task).

Love this equating video games to learning! Works from so many different aspects.