Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 2.5 Problem Based Tasks as Formative Assessment Machines – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 2.5 Problem Based Tasks as Formative Assessment Machines – Discussion

• Daniel Whittaker

July 15, 2021 at 2:39 am

I love this type of task. A couple of questions and comments.

1. Do you always use random groupings? Or sometimes are deliberate in grouping kids (AKA make sure you have a strong student in each group, or make sure that the student that never tries to take the lead isn’t with the stronger student to just sit back. Similarly, if student A & B cannot be grouped together for some reason (discipline or otherwise) how do you handle grouping randomly in this instance? (I love random groupings, but sometimes feel I’m grouping the lazy way instead of taking the time to be intentional about who is with whom.)

2. When asking the questions about “what do you need” and “how will you use it” are you speaking to groups or to the full class? My answer would be that as I ask the question and have them write answers on the board, I wander the room and ask their reasoning for what they are writing individually. Then bring the class together to answer their questions. Though I have at least occasionally answered questions to each group individually and not given the information until they ask for it, so some groups have more information than others.

3. With the student that divided “wrong” and didn’t label units, it is so easy for a group to see another group and change their answer because it doesn’t match the norm. I will always push them to stick with an answer like this and make sure they understand what it means. If they can’t get to that point, I may bring it to the whole class and have them use this other division method to justify the answer as well.