Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 2.2 Two Formative Assessment Techniques You Need To Stop Using – Part 2 – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 2.2 Two Formative Assessment Techniques You Need To Stop Using – Part 2 – Discussion

• Daniel Whittaker

July 9, 2021 at 12:34 am

It is so nice watching these videos and knowing that I’ve already done this for the most part. I work hard to develop an environment where everyone is willing to share. I use popsicle sticks to assign random seats each day to use for groups (though I do sometimes tweak them if certain students shouldn’t be together.). Then through class if I need interaction from students I will pull out a random stick to ask them the question. I also work hard to not allow them to not answer, but rather wait them out to think about the question and answer when they are ready.

I also have the benefit of great principals the last few years that were willing to give me my whiteboard space. I have 5 full size whiteboards on the walls so that I can easily have all students working at the board at the same time. Sometimes this is individual and sometimes it is working with their table group. This was harder during Covid restrictions as students were supposed to keep 1 m spacing at all times, but in normal years, there is no issue and I can accommodate 20 at the board at a time.

Praying that this year will be restriction free in the classroom. But Singapore is playing it very safe.