Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• Serina Signorello

July 1, 2021 at 3:06 pm

In lessons like this, the students are engaged in the problem at the start of the lesson and excited to figure them out, whereas in traditional math lessons it can become mechanical, especially when students are not actively engaged until the practice which typically occurs at the end of the lesson. In the latter the teacher is doing most of the thinking.

Benefits: My students enjoy notice and wonder questions because they are all capable of noticing and wondering. I believe this aids in building the confidence of low performing students. I especially enjoy how problems like the ones in the video have a low floor and many different ways of approaching the problem which make it accessible for all learners. I love how Kyle mentioned coming back to a task that was previously used. I did the post-it note and camera case lesson for slope this year and referred back to it informally last year. Now I am excited to think of questions I can use when re-introducing the problem for writing equations of lines and systems of equations.

Reservations: The challenging part for me is feeling overwhelmed, like I need to scrap everything I used to do and dive into this 150%. I’m not sure if I need to spend a year going fully problem-based (try the illustrative mathematics curriculum), pull problems from all of the resources I’ve found through MMM Podcast, or figure out how to spiral my curriculum.

Thankfully I used the pandemic to test out problem-based lessons and did some exploring and tried many new activities, so I have a place to start.