Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 4.2: How to Help Students Take Ownership in Their Own Learning – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4.2: How to Help Students Take Ownership in Their Own Learning – Discussion

• Laura Kaplan

June 29, 2021 at 3:57 am

Thank you. I’m still wondering about their portfolio, though. If I’m using that as evidence (along with my observations) can’t a student point to all sort of “evidence” in their portfolio that was in fact completed with an inordinate amount of help from someone/someplace else? I’m concerned about students and/or parents seeing mounds of portfolio evidence that says their kid has mastered the material, but I can only point to what I “remember” hearing in class as evidence contrary to that portfolio. The parents could easily claim that my memory is off or I misunderstood, or I just didn’t observe the student when he/she was doing it correctly. The physical (albeit digital) evidence seems to paint a much stronger case, but it would be very easy for a student, intentionally or not, to misrepresent their knowledge in the portfolio.