Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Assessment For Growth Lesson 4.3: Where Do Formal/Traditional Forms of Evaluation Fit In? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4.3: Where Do Formal/Traditional Forms of Evaluation Fit In? – Discussion

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    June 3, 2021 at 7:14 am

Hi @michael.wynott!
    This is a great question and one many educators wonder.
    There is no “right” answer here, but I found that when students did seem to lose some of that understanding I feel there needs to be something there to help the student see that it is time to circle back. This can often happen due to the time since it was explored (learning loss) or maybe even because initially they were relying on familiarity over real understanding/learning.
    Each year I would adjust my approach to improve, but ultimately I would adjust down the grade (using whatever scale you choose) plus have an indicator like colour to highlight that they HAD shown a deeper understanding but now that has changed a bit.
    Of course finding the balance between adjusting the mark down vs penalizing can be a challenge and requires much thought. You don’t want to discourage or make students feel like hard work is “taken away” so be cautious.
    I would also intentionally try to draw in that topic into an upcoming lesson if I felt that most students had struggles with an idea weeks or months after we last explored it.
    What is your current thinking around this?