Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections 2020 MMM Virtual Summit Partnering With Parents in Elementary School Math – Discussion Reply To: Partnering With Parents in Elementary School Math – Discussion

• Christopher Ernst

April 7, 2021 at 4:36 pm

My biggest take-away was viewing the parents as partners. This is something that I know I believe, but find myself having trouble maintaining as the year goes on, or when parents say things like “I wasn’t good at math, so why should ____ be good at it” or telling me and their student that math is too hard. I’ve heard this several times and it chips away at this belief. I feel that part of this reason is that I mainly reach out to parents with negative news about students.

I think I need to communicate more often from the beginning of the year to establish that trust rather than come in out of nowhere a couple of weeks into a semester and communicate positive messages about the practices as they said in the video.

I’m wondering what tools I can use to help me streamline this process? I have around 160 students yearly in high school and a tool to help maintain communication could be incredibly helpful!