Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

• DAVID DIEHL

March 26, 2021 at 1:27 pm

Two takeaways are

1. that the notice and wonder do not stand alone – that it has to come with good pre-planning of what you want the students to learn. I will say in addition to being a great low floor/high ceiling entry point tool and engagement tool, I have noticed that since I have started asking students to notice and wonder a lot, some students use their noticing/wondering skill on symbolic problems like a system of equations where they “notice” negatives and think how they will affect the problem or “notice” something about a word problem so taking it beyond when I ask and just becoming better “noticers” and “wonderers” about math problems and the world they live in. I like pushing it into SEL lessons too – learning to “notice” other people’s emotions or your own and “wondering” why might someone be doing something or how they could think of solving a problem with a relationship they are having. Beyond that, just noticing the beauty in the world, like Alice Walker says – not walking by the color purple without noticing it.

2. reminding me that I can build stuff I did before into 3-act tasks. In the past, students and I liked things like building layers of paper bridges with pennies to collect data and analyze scatter plots or using grocery shopping carts in the classroom to estimate how many might be in a grocery store line. However, I never quite squeezed everything I could have out of those and now I think with this framework I see how I could have made them more engaging and allowed for so many more paths to understanding then the overly structures do then then this then write this equation and the slope means this and so on but allow for that discovery.