Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Mini-Course Reflections Spiralling Math Class Lesson 4 – 8: How Can I Help Struggling Students? – Discussion Reply To: Lesson 4 – 8: How Can I Help Struggling Students? – Discussion

• Kyle Pearce

Administrator
    March 6, 2021 at 6:25 am

This is definitely a challenge and there is no way to completely avoid the negative result of missing school especially on the regular. One thing that IS helpful is that you can quickly bring them up to speed on the context upon their return – sharing an image, telling the story or showing a video – but the challenge lies in the fact that the learning experience has been lost. For example, a 60 minute productive struggle was missed and I’m guessing that they haven’t and likely won’t “make up” that time at home even if they wanted to. They won’t have the purposeful questioning of the teacher there to prompt and guide.

So, while you can share the context online with them to attempt on their own, it may be problematic especially if the absences are less about health and more about an overall lack of value placed on education in that household.

I wonder if finding a time to work with students more individually once their back could be a good approach?