Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our
community around the world.

Make Math Moments Academy Forums Community Discussion Water Cooler Creating a Culture of Growth! (no – not bacteria) Reply To: Creating a Culture of Growth! (no – not bacteria)

• Brent Sturtevant

February 21, 2021 at 6:25 am

Holly,

I totally agree with your post. I feel that the mentality is all about getting the A. One of my team members and I discuss this issue all the time. We can’t stand the honor roll – in almost every email or conversation the object of the parent is for the student to reach this goal – it then caries to the student as they start believing in that same goal. Both of us also don’t like the concept of report cards – I feel it is such an outdated process and why do we need to share reports on a quarterly basis when grades can be scene instantly online. I feel there are other issues as well but those are the main ones.

Over the years I have changed my practices as I let students constantly retake assessments until they get a good grade (this has helped) but I am looking into alternate forms and have started taking “Assessment to Growth” as suggested by Kyle.

Some things that I am doing this year is having students create a portfolio for a section and then I in the process of creating team challenges. If interested I can share at a later time to let you know how it is going. If you any other ideas or insight I would love to hear it.

Thanks for posting this topic as it is so true.

Stay well.

Taylor