Do you find students give up too easily when working on math problems that are unfamiliar?
Do you find yourself stuck pre-teaching concepts to students BEFORE they have a chance to truly engage in the problem solving process just so they can “get through the problem”?
Our constant pre-teaching of concepts is just one of the reasons students struggle with word problems and throw their hands up in frustration.
In this webinar, you’ll learn 5 reasons students struggle with word problems and what we can do to overcome this common math class challenge including how we can engage our students by planning and delivering lessons that ditch the “I Do, We Do, You Do” model of instruction to teaching through rich tasks to leverage student curiosity and promote resilience through problem solving.
What You’ll Learn:
- What prevents students from applying their prior knowledge and understanding when solving word problems;
- How we can transform our current curriculum resources into engaging experiences;
- The teacher moves necessary to build a community of resilient problem solvers;
- How to avoid pre-teaching and instead teach through problem based lessons that fuel student sense-making; and,
- Where to find curriculum resources and the support needed to make Math Moments in your classroom everyday.
A certificate of completion will be unlocked once each module and lesson in this course is marked complete.
Length of course:
Approximately 1.5 hours of video lesson content with another recommended 3 hours of reflection, planning and implementing.
Who can access this course?
Make Math Moments Academy Members.
30-day Money-Back Guarantee and you can cancel anytime.
PLUS Academy Members can access over 10 other courses covering topics like Teaching Math Remotely, Assessment, Math EdTech Tools, Conceptualizing the Fundamentals of Mathematics, Spiralling and many more! See all of the Academy Courses here.
Want to learn more about what other benefits you receive as an Academy Member? Click here to learn more.